Monday, August 22, 2011

Those Who Can't Do...

So, I've just returned from teaching my first class ever. I was very nervous, but once I got up there and started talking, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. Or, should I say, I wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

That's not to say that there weren't a few mistakes. For a start, I got to the office way too early (I was expecting a line at the copier), so I had a lot of time to kill. After I got sick of strolling around ECS, I headed over to my 8:30 class. Big mistake! I got there around 8:12-8:15 for an 8:30 class, and there were already students in the room! Students I had to entertain! Acccck! I spent as much time as possible writing on the board, checking my notes, and just generally pretending to be busy, but it was this kind of slow torture.


I made time for a group activity/icebreaker in which students wrote down a story about their name, and then shared it with a partner, who then introduced them. I cut the collaborative aspect short because I was concerned about time, and wanted everyone to be able to share. Unfortunately for me, I vastly overestimated the quality of the "stories", and we ended up finishing about 5 minutes early, which is something we were told not to do. I did try to plan time effectively, but I figured it'd be best if I left as much time as possible for the activity. I'll just have to address that next time and be sure to have "back pocket activities" ready to go!

My other issue was some "chattiness", which I fear will become a greater problem when students get to know each other better. I just hope I don't have to move seats. I made a few jokes, but either my students were too nervous, or I'm just not funny because nobody laughed. And also, due to the acoustics of the room and the nature of groupwork, I had difficulties reigning the class in and getting their attention. 

Still, all in all it was an enjoyable experience and I look forward to becoming a competent and effective teacher in the months to come. But first, I need to learn my students' names!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment