Monday, April 4, 2011

Procrastination and stagnation...

I've always been in love with writing, but as far as I can remember, I've never been able to finish something that wasn't for a class. It's been a pattern I've repeated over and over since I was 9 or 10, and it's terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Although it's been a lot of work, I'm really happy that I decided to enroll in ENG-490 Writing Workshop with professor Kirsti Sandy. She has been an amazing resource, and taking the class has really helped me to develop my voice and confidence in my writing. That's not to say I wasn't a good writer, but just doing the work has helped make me even better- and since when is progress a bad thing?


I've put a lot of work in that class, and as we near the final stretch, I can honestly say that I am very proud of the final product. At around 50 pages, the memoir I've produced is one of the most complete and honest things I've ever produced. Just knowing that I can create something like that in a semester gives me a lot of confidence in my other projects, too.


I started writing a young adult fantasy novel when I was a senior in high school. It was one of my first serious projects, spawned at a time when I was enrolled in a two creative writing classes. Although I'm proud to say I've stuck with it for four years, I can feel myself starting to get distracted. But maybe, now that I know I can turn out a quality product, staying with it will be that much easier.

The story itself follows two young women- Mona, a reformed thief and prostitute in her early 20's, and Ren, an albino assassin and child prodigy with a serious Napoleon complex- who become the guardians of a lost princess in an era of revolution and political unrest. As the two work to keep the girl safe amidst riots and war, they confront their demons and learn how to live more genuinely in the world. There's a little bit of romance, a little bit of angst, but I'm hoping to show how anyone, no matter their background, can always change, always learn from others, and can always find something to believe in.

Wow, that sounds so sappy. Still, though, it's something I believe in. Thus far, it's been really hard because I feel like I haven't done anything or grown myself. Sending a message about changing for the better ...well, that sounds hypocritical when I haven't done any of that for myself!



Sadly, I think the project will need to be put on hold (or only get sporadic attention) while I work on my MA, but ultimately that may not be a bad thing. After two more years of life, I will have two more years of experiences and wisdom to add to the project....actually, when I look at it like that, maybe the journey to Kansas will give me the adventure and inspiration I've been lacking in New Hampshire!

No comments:

Post a Comment